Pages

Sunday 4 March 2018

Locks and Keys


This is the sort of thing DH bought bear (and him) but there was a set of lockpicks included.  They are having a lot of fun sitting and looking away from the lock and trying to get it open.  It's fun for them.  I've got some incredibly inexpensive and secondhand locks from eBay (my friend always comes through) for the men to practice on.  Apparently there are lockpicking championships. I am not mentioning that to bear.

Barb from Canada mentioned a blog post about making your own soap.  I'm not sure I'm up to it.  If you are going to do it properly then you need to deal with some harsh chemicals and I'm not safe.  I had a look at the bars of soap on sale at eBay and I was bewildered.  Some look very unsafe, some are incredibly expensive and there are a lot of dubious claims.  Some soaps are marketed as gluten free, which made me profoundly grateful I am only intolerant to gluten in my food.  I didn't realise you could still get carbolic soap and coal tar soap.  I didn't know you could get soap made with pine tar, nor did I realise that you could get soap that was 10% sulphur and I'm desperately glad I have so far not needed to know that.  I have a stash of Dove shower creme from when I got an extremely good deal from Approved Food and I'm sticking to that for the near future at least.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lyssa bit behind in my reading. I think it is a wonderful idea for Bear to learn to sew, knit, cook etc. Gives him life long skills. All my kids know how to do all of the above, though the boys only sew when needed and as far as I know they haven’t knitted in a while. As for picking locks - my great nephew taught has 8 year old son to pick them. He even made a wooden stand and put not just padlocks but a door lock too. His buddies gave him the gears about it. But, all of us women came back with “Keldon will get us back in our house during a blizzard”, so there. Enjoy you blog as always. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to never being locked out! Thank you for calling in, it's always good to 'see' you LM x

    ReplyDelete