Pages

Sunday 3 September 2017

Ready for Winter

Jake's a Girl asked whether I was ready for winter.  The answer to that is 'heck, no!'  However I can feel housewifery creeping up on me.  Bear goes back to school the day after tomorrow and I'm starting to plan the attack on getting the house into some sort of shape.

I am also considering more adventurous cookery.  That will depend on the freezer because as soon as I've got it emptied I'm going to replace it, even if I have to do it on credit.  It's not safe.  Anything too frost encrusted will be discarded.  I need to rethink my attitude to the food anyway.  Bear likes healthier food than I'm making.  He likes leafy salads and tonight polished of a vast quantity of grated raw carrot.  I need to put in the thinking time as much as the cooking time.

It's felt cooler today and it's damp.  For me, autumn means falling leaves and heavy, ripe berries.  I normally expect those in October but they are already here.  I wonder what it means for winter and I think I need to get a wiggle on.

I found a link to a book about doing housework in rhythm with the moon.  It's here, if you don't believe me.  My instinctive reaction wasn't positive.  However if you think about it, the moon can cause tides so it's bound to have some sort of effect.  Lots of people plant according to the moon, and I can really understand that.  But housewifery?  The blurb does promise effortless housekeeping (as well as a lot of other things, to be fair).  It would hard for me to do less than I have done over the last few weeks, so perhaps it's for me.  I suppose I could use it for research for the White Hart (I'm a few thousand words into the next episode) and claim it as expenses.

We drove to the grammar school yesterday.  I don't know if bear will get in, but it looks nice.  So does the nearest academy.  I never thought being a parent would be so complicated.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... that woman has a 3 very similr sounding books for sale on Amazon at the mo. If you get it, I'd be interested to hear if you think there's anything in it.
    On a separate subject, did you know that tomorrow, Monday 4th Sept. Craftsy is letting you view ALL online classes FREE, all day (US time, 5 hours behind us).
    It only works through the website, not the Craftsy app.
    I've been busy "favouriting" classes to have a peek at. If nothing else, it'll hlp me identify which classes not to bother with.
    Thought you might find something to tickle your fancy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if effortless housework is a good or bad thing as I always think that I am getting a bit of a workout when cleaning! An interesting concept though I spent all day yesterday cleaning - I should have checked to see if there was a moon.

    ReplyDelete