Pages

Saturday 5 August 2017

Always a Silver Lining

I tried one of those 'Life Tips' today.  The kitchen sink hadn't been draining well so I poured a large amount of baking soda into the plug, followed it with vinegar and stepped back smartly as it foamed all over the place.  I thought it wouldn't work as all the froth seemed to come upwards, but it seems to have dislodged whatever was blocking, so that's a win.  I should do it weekly I suppose.

I had a fail with a sweater.  It's the second time I tried to knit the pattern, and this time instead of miscounting and having to unpick the whole dratted lot to work out the neck and not being able to face it, I used some alternative yarn and the armholes haven't worked out.  I have only myself to blame.  If I had knitted a tension square I would have known that it needed adjusting.  I've just unravelled the almost-finished back.

However there is an extremely bright silver lining.  I really, really really want to try this shawl pattern.  I had promised myself I wouldn't start it until I had finished the sweater.  It seems a shame to put it off now that I've given up on the pattern.  And fortunately the yarn was only delivered yesterday, so it's like it's meant to be.

I did play fair with the sweater.  I don't think I can carry on with that yarn.  However I have some ideas that may look awesome - but I'm not trying them out until I've finished the shawl and another project outstanding.  I'm promising myself that!

4 comments:

  1. I do my drains with the baking soda/vinegar thing once every couple of weeks. So far, so good. I let it sit about 5-mins. and usually follow it with boiling water after the foaming stops. Takes a while to do all the drains. ugh! I can't knit at all. I sew but knitting escapes me. Hope you are having a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soda crystals are another cheap drain shifter of gunge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job unclogging the sink! You've reminded me that I should do that with all my sinks, too.

    Too bad about the sweater. I've a couple of half done sweaters that I need to unravel and start over. I started knitting them a before cancer, when I weighed 40 lbs. more than I do now. The sweaters are miles too big now! That shawl looks interesting! But I am not going to start a knitting project yet; I've a quilt to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In January 1993 I started knitting a black mohair cardigan. I knitted fast and furiously and it grew quickly. All that was left to do was one sleeve and the edging. That is still all that is left to do. One day ... ... ...

    ReplyDelete