Pages

Tuesday 22 December 2015

Shopping Challenge

I was trying to clean the picture frame of one of the pictures I brought back from uncle's house.  It was an epic fail, so I decided I wanted to reframe the picture.  When will I learn.  I took the picture out of the frame before I got the new one and I shall be on pins until it is safely framed again.  My poor photography managed to get an image.


It is very Victorian in flavour, mainly pencil with probably some sort of colour added.  You can see the marks of the pencil and in pencil it is noted that it is of Scone Palace.  There is no name or anything to say where it came from.  It is charming and I love it.  I have no idea how old it is, as the frame was elderly and stained beyond redemption.  It looked like the backing board had been reused previously so I suspect this is not the first time this has been re-framed.  The picture had some newspaper at the back.  I had to have a rummage, just to see, but whoever put the paper there were inconsiderate and had only used the bottom of the broadsheet newspaper, not the top, so there was no date.  There was an announcement of a performance by Cor Merched Rhyl (Rhyl Ladies Choir) and a crossword clue referred to something being in Mr Baldwin's cabinet - Stanley Baldwin was Prime Minister between 1923 and 1929 and also between 1935 and 1937 (thank you Wikipedia).  The pictures for the adverts suggest the earlier date.

And now I have the wonderful challenge of finding a picture frame fourteen and one quarter inches by 10 and one quarter inches, as the picture is an awkward size and I don't want to trim it.  I have had a brief look at eBay and it doesn't look promising.

Challenge accepted.

3 comments:

  1. You could consider adding a double mount to fit it into a frame that is a standard size. Alternatively picture framers can make the frame to fit...but it can be a bit pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make a nice book cover - so here's another challenge - write a story to fit it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. A picture framer will be able to frame any size for you Syb (but may cost a bit!)

    ReplyDelete