Pages

Thursday 23 July 2015

Red Sky at Night

I know that not everyone who reads this is from the UK (and I am incredibly flattered), so you may not have heard of the saying, 'Red sky at night, shepherd's delight.  Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning.'

Normally the weather systems cross the UK from west to east, from the Atlantic to the North Sea.  This means that rain sweeps in from the west.  According to the Met Office, western England can get up to 3000mm annual rainfall, while Norfolk on the east can get as little as 700mm.  When the sun rose in the east the light from the horizon would shine across and if it hit clouds massing in the west and turned them red then there was a good chance that it was weather from the Atlantic bringing rain.  When the sun was setting in the west and light was shining across to the east, if it lit up cloud it was likely to be clouds that had already passed.

This morning there was a red sky, and the weather forecast is hit and miss.  I know this because father was taken into hospital last night, moved to another hospital and I finally got home about 5.30am.  The doctors describe him as 'very poorly'.  I had two lots of 'Should we have a 'Do Not Resuscitate Notice'.  I have had lots of worries running around my head, so I am just thinking about rubbish.

Worried about father, worried about bear, worried about DH who is incredibly close to father.  The summer holidays have truly arrived.

2 comments: