Pages

Saturday 11 July 2015

An Epic Okay

I never thought I would have the nerve to do this.  I never thought I would have the energy.  I have never painted anything.  I have never decorated.  So why I thought it a good idea to use some of the dumped tyres as planters after painting them I have no idea.  However I bought some basic emulsion (after all, what sort of paint works on rubber?), ordered some plants and decided to see what happened.

What happened was that the plants arrived today.  I wasn't expecting them until Thursday.  I had an epic panic.  I had some tyres.


I suddenly had some plants


And I had a sense of urgency.  First of all I washed the tyres.  I didn't do a good job but I got the worst of the dust and dirt off them and while they were drying I planted the catnip and the honeysuckle.



Then I sat down and painted.  Bear helped, and we need to work on clear communication - I need to say 'stop' in time and needs to actually stop.  As it is we have paint in bear's hair and compost in the paint, but paint, compost and hair are all brown and it is fairly dull emulsion, so bear will be fine.

I was aware of the way the weather could change and the need to get the plants in as soon as possible, so I sort of slapped away with the paint brush.  I had a wonderful time.  It was quite fiddly getting into the grooves in the tyres, there is paint on my new slippers, there is paint on the dust sheet, but most importantly there is paint on the tyres.

I also was soaking coir bricks to put at the base, shoveling soil from place to place and generally juggling different stages.  However DH (who is lovely!) is making dinner and I can leave the last coat of paint to more or less dry but I have already planted up two lots and only one left.  I'll be able to do that after dinner, and pick up some small trellis for the sweet peas, jasmine and honeysuckle that should cover my painting mistakes.  I'm not trying to grow things up the fence behind them.  The Landlord says he is going to put a fence in.  I will believe that when I see it.  However I have to wait to see what he does and while he works it out the fence is collapsing.

I'm quite pleased with it.

I didn't think I had the skill, the energy or the courage to have a go.  I am not kidding myself they are perfect either, but they are okay.  I'm waiting to see how they do with rain.  However now that I have proved that to myself, I have a backlog of things to attempt.  Watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that is looking good. Good luck with the growing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on painting the tires! What a great idea! Hope your plants will be happy in their bright new homes! Cheers from Canada, Nanny Anny

    ReplyDelete