Pages

Saturday 16 May 2015

Not Nice Coffee

I'm tootling on with clearing the walk-in cupboard.  Most of the plaster is wrecked from damp, but it is drying out.  There are huge heaps of plaster dust.  I've been shifting things around, throwing things out while they are still likely to be collected by the bin men and having a rummage.

I found a jar of coffee that expired in June 2010.  I dissolved it and watered the garden with it.  Apparently slugs can't cope with caffeine.  To be honest, I can't cope without it, but that is another matter.  Apparently slugs get all giddy and so hyped that they shrivel up and die.  I can live with that.  In this garden I could dispose of dozens and they still would be over-running the place.

I am feeling a little guilty about the great big, huge, enormous, massive rat that I saw on the street.  When I went out to collect bear from school it was there lying on the road, almost a hazard to traffic.  I am exaggerating, but only a little, and it looked very dead.  On the way back it sort of twitched as I hurried bear past it.  I just scurried it.  I ought to have finished it off so that it didn't suffer and I do feel bad.  On the other hand it was the size of evil cat and I didn't want to get too near a dying rat.  Besides, I have no idea how to finish off a rat.  It's one of those things where you just assume you will know when the time comes.

As we are also hearing scratching in the walls I have called in the rat catchers.  There is no sign of any rats here.  Apart from anything else, the massive heap of food debris that I battle against in the study is untouched.  The veg in the veg rack is fine.  I am hoping it stays that way (hence the rat catcher) because I have twelve bags of pasta in the walk in cupboard due to the very good bargains on the gluten free stuff and I don't want that getting nibbled.

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading some of your blog posts and I've been enjoying them hugely. I'd have run a mile, myself, from the twitching rat! *shudder*

    ReplyDelete