Pages

Saturday 25 January 2014

Sweating the Small Stuff

It's the dratted dishwasher tablets.  I've got my calculator out.

If I go for the Asda all in one perfectly adequate tablets I can get them for 11.1p per tablet, which is close to my aim.  However I don't actually want anything else from Asda.  I have perfectly good fruit, veg and meat delivered from the Market.  The local shops do the bread and milk.  My cupboards are jammed with tinned goods, and there is a reasonable selection locally.  I can't see the point in an order apart from the dishwasher tablets.

I could try going to Aldi.  Their dishwasher tablets have an extremely good reputation, and are currently around 10p per tablet.  Of course it would cost me £3.90 to get there and a large chunk out of my day.  I don't really want to spend the time out of the house that I can get going to Aldi.  It is within walking distance, if you don't mind walking an hour or so each way, and I need to get fit.  However I'd need to cross a motorway junction so it is much safer taking the bus at £3.90.

If I bought the dishwasher tablets from Asda I would have to buy a shedload to reach the minimum order of £25.  Then the cheapest slot on Monday afternoon would be £3 delivery.  If I went to Aldi it would cost £3.90 and I couldn't carry so many back on the bus.

So Asda would be 225 tablets for £28, or around 12.5p per tablet.  I would struggle to carry a lot back on the bus but Aldi would be 200 tablets for £23.85 or 11.9p plus a huge chunk of my day gone and I would struggle to carry.  Besides I would never get out of Aldi with just dishwasher tablets and Asda are also doing 7up (father's favourite mixer) at £1 per bottle instead of £1.98.

And part of me really wants to do an Asda order for just five boxes of dishwasher tablets, just because.

It is a load of naffraff over some dishwasher tablets.  But it is taking my mind out of the financial nightmare that now needs to be sorted out for uncle and I suspect it will get worse.  They may be further posts of equal parts of small stuff.  At the moment I'm not doing the big stuff very well at all.

2 comments:

  1. I've just popped in to say Hello. I am not sure I can keep up with you at the moment - you seem to be going at life like a whirling dervish, and I hope you are OK. Please take care of yourself.....love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the hugs. I feel like I am ricocheting at the moment and pinging off one happening after another. I'm doing okay. Thank you for dropping in! WS xxx

    ReplyDelete