Pages

Sunday 3 November 2013

Slowcooker fail

The slow cooker has had its day.  I hadn't used it for a bit, so went to dig it out and all the inside of the bowl had crazed and there was a fine tracery of mold showing exactly where all the crazing was.  I washed it, but I couldn't bring myself to use it.

The mince casserole that was going to be Sunday dinner has been relegated to the stove top.  I am considering making a suet crust to put over it and making a variation on sea pie.  I am reluctant to approach making suet pastry but I have been told it is a lot easier than ordinary shortcrust.  You could tile a roof with my shortcrust.  But a suet crust has to be worth a go.

However I can't go that long without a slow cooker.  I have just found a recipe for smoked cod with bean mash in the slow cooker that I think will go really well, and I have a very good source of excellent smoked cod delivered by the market.  We had kedgeree last night, and the fish was amazing.

So now I want to buy another slow cooker.  It was a nice change, for once I didn't think, 'Great!  A shopping opportunity!'  Instead I thought, 'Not more spending.'  I think that is another reason to be cautiously optimistic.

1 comment:

  1. Tesco do a really good own brand slow cooker for between £10 and £20 - sometimes it's on special offer at £10 or £12. I like mine so much that when it was on offer again I bought another one. It hold about 2lbs of meat or a 6 portion pot of broth.

    ReplyDelete